Amptec 601ES Explosive Safety Digital Multimeter (DMM)
*Typically kept in stock. Availability may vary during busy periods or with the selection of some options.
Intrinsically-Safe Digital Multi-Meter
Designed originally for U.S. Military/Defense system programs, (i.e. Air Launched Cruise Missile – Boeing Defense Systems ) to replace the aging and obsolete Dupont 101 Blaster meter. It is used to safely measure stray voltage and stray current (energetics), and squib EED EBW on a variety of missile, rocket motor and ordinance related devices with a worst case component failure output of 8 mA. The AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Safety DMM features:
- Ruggedized, water-resistant main front panel,
- Self-contained DC milliammeter (to independently verify it’s USAF Munition Safety Board Approved failsafe “ohms” current source level,
- Low level fail-safe voltage (50 mV) signal source,
- Fail-safe 5 mA signal sources (to independently verify unit’s DMM stray voltage and stray current measurement function) – The 50 mV and 5 mV signal sources are completely independent of the meters output terminals for safety reasons,
- 4 Wire Kelvin resistance or 2 wire “ohms” modes at the flip of a switch (silicone rubber boot protected),
- Standard DMM style gold plated 5-way binding posts (accepts banana jacks, spade lugs, bare wires and other test lead connections),
- Wide viewing angle (tilted) ergonomic display – readable in direct sunlight,
- Separate battery compartment allows user to replace the unit’s 4 ea. “AA” batteries without breaking the calibration seal, a shielded Faraday cage design for EMP , ESD protection, noise immunity, and more .
- Only the AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Safety DMM has an independent on-board safety self check capability (Complete AMPTEC 601ES DMM Safety Self-test or Checkout Procedure). It is an independent on-board safety self check for every function (stray voltage, stray current measurement and resistance) and every range on the DMM using the units’ built-in milli-ammeter.
Ruggedized For Harsh Environments
The AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Safety DMM is designed for use in harsh environments (down to 0°C) on the go “mobile” take it anywhere use, or for general purpose test bench use on ordnance. The unit’s resistance measurement circuitry ( fail-safe current source) uses AMPTEC’s proven USAF Munition Safety Board Approved Igniter Tester circuitry (AMPTEC 620A-4 Fail-Safe Igniter Tester) military programs.
Measure Stray Voltages from 600V to 0.1 mV
Safely Measures energetics, both stray current and voltage. The AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Safety DMM can safely measure Stray Voltage(s) at virtually all levels. It has a 600 VDC/RMS AC range or 200 VRMS, 20 VRMS and 2.0 VRMS (AC/DC) ranges with 4 1/2 digit resolution down to 0.1 mV DC/RMS AC. Stray AC/DC current can also be measured up to the 2.0 ampere DC/RMS AC level. The AMPTEC 601ES Safety DMM has a 5.0 ampere fast blow fuse which protects the AMPTEC 601ES Safety DMM from any overcurrent damage.
Fail-Safe Design Saves Lives
Commercial Multifunction DMM’s have many modes (i.e. DC Voltage, AC Voltage, DC current, AC current, frequency, shift keys, capacitance, some even with AC powered line cords and more) that can accidentally fire an igniter circuit. Just because a DMM may be battery powered, doesn’t mean its “failsafe”. A single “AA” battery such as the Duracell MN1500 Coppertop™ can source 1.5 Amps. This level is enough current to be extremely hazardous if its accidentally connected (i.e. component failure ~short) to a squib or EED (a lot of ignitors/squibs have a 1.0 ampere ALL FIRE current level). DMMs were not designed to fail in a safe mode.
Unlike a commercial DMM, you can see for yourself that the unit’s resistance function is only sourcing < 5 mA ( a very safe level) into the unit’s independent Simpson analog milliammeter just before preforming an ordnance test (0 to 10 mA ). More important, should there ever be a component failure in the AMPTEC 601ES Safety DMM, it has the life saving advantage of failing safe (less than 8 mA worst case component failure). The AMPTEC 601ES Safety DMM uses the USAF Munition Safety Board approved low level failsafe current source circuitry for all resistance measurement modes.The AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Safety DMM has many safety features built-in to prevent virtually any hazardous failure mode.
All instruments eventually break or fail (need repair) sooner or later but are they designed to be failsafe like the AMPTEC 601ES DMM?
Essentially, unlike a commercial DMM, if the AMPTEC 601ES DMM has an electrical fault, it offers the life saving advantage of being failsafe. Commercial DMMs are not designed or Safety Board Approved with the USAF Munition Safety Board Approved fail-safe current source circuitry found in the 601ES DMM. The maximum output current with any single component failure is 8mA (well within the acceptable safety margin established by virtually all Explosive Safety Approval Boards). Virtually all commercial DMMs have lots of things that if they failed worst case – make them extremely hazardous to use on electrically fired explosive ignitiators and related ordnance. Commercial;DMMs also lack an insulating (oversprayed) polyurethane conformal coating on all the main PCB after the components are placed. The PCB conformal coating;helps prevent an accidental loose wire,washer, or screw from conducting in a hazardous manner.
For resistance measurement of missile warhead squibs, rocket motor squibs, etc., only AMPTEC’s failsafe current source (same as in all AMPTEC 620 and 630 series Igniter Testers) safety instrumentation is used by the USAF, US NAVY and US Army. Most DMMs also aren’t optimized for squib resistance measurements, most squibs are around 1.0 Ohm and the AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Digital Multimeter offers a 2.0 Ohm full scale range.
Independent, On-Board Self-Test
Commercial DMMs lack an independent on-board Simpson milliammeter (0 to 10 mA fullscale) the AMPTEC 601ES DDM has. It allows independent verification to the unit’s output test current level checks just prior to making an ignitor/ordnance test. It is the ampere level that sets off squibs and EEDS. A 250 mA maximum “NO FIRE” current is common with squibs, above that level any thing can happen. The AMPTEC 601ES DMM also has built-in signal sources to also check the stray voltage and stray current. It’s called “measurement integrity” and “explosive safety assurance” and the AMPTEC 601ES Explosive Safety DMM was designed from the ground floor up to have both.
Note: We include one set of your choice of clip leads with the purchase of a meter (see options below).
- OP290 Alligator Clip Test Leads
- OP300 Kelvin Clip Test Leads
- OP302 Banana-Jack Kelvin Test Leads
- OP350 Large Kelvin Clip Test Leads
- OP401 Single-Point Mini Probe Test Leads
- OP403 Kelvin Mini Probe Test Leads